Drugs are chemicals. At Serenity center we prefer to use the word “Substances.” Different drugs/substances, because of their chemical structures, can affect the person in different ways. Some drugs can change a person’s body and brain in ways that last long after the person has stopped taking drugs, maybe even permanently.
There are many different reasons why people use drugs, among them are: curiosity, relief from stress or depression, because friends are doing it, or in an attempt to improve physical performance. Often this behavior is a one-off or an infrequent activity that people dip in and out of; however, in some cases using drugs leads to abuse and then Addiction.
At this stage the user begins to experience major life problems including: losing a job(s), dysfunctional relationships with friends and loved ones, physical
complications, social mal-adaptations, mental disorientation, spiritual alienation and many others. But despite all that the person continues to use, this precisely means the person is no-longer in-control but needs help.
At Serenity Centre, we use a holistic approach to addiction treatment. This aims at improving the physical, mental, psychological, social, and spiritual wellbeing of the affected person and their family.
Addiction counseling is a relationship in which a counselor helps the client mobilize resources to resolve their problem and modify attitudes and values.
Forms of counselling offered at Serenity Centre
· Individual therapy: The counsellor should have at least two individual sessions with each client every week.
· Group therapy: The counsellor should conduct at least one group session with the clients in his/her care every week.
· Family therapy: the counsellor should conduct at least one family counselling session per month. These may be conducted at the centre or in their respective homes.
Most commonly used therapeutic modalities used at Serenity Centre include.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), a well-established form of psychotherapy that has been scientifically tested to be effective in treating a wide variety of disorders, including substance abuse.
- Motivational interviewing
- Contingency management
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- 12-Step program
We also offer counseling to out-patient clients, both for alcohol and drugs plus other psychological needs.
Are you or a loved one currently struggling with addiction to alcohol or drugs? Get help now before one of the worst-case scenarios happens.
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY WITHIN ADDICTIONS
- Mental/physical health
- Social problems